This Specialty Turtle Cake was created for a little boy’s first birthday. His mother contacted me with a picture of a turtle cake and this one was created accordingly.
The turtle sits on an 8″ round cake covered in light blue fondant. The cake side is decorated with fondant and butter cream grass and a colourful bead border. Furthermore a big “1” and the birthday boy’s name decorates the side.
All parts of the turtle, body, head, and feet, are fondant covered cake as well. The turtle’s party head and his little caterpillar friend are from fondant.
The flavours included vanilla white cake with raspberry filling and vanilla butter cream.
- To achieve the sphere shape of the turtle’s shell I baked it in the Wilton Sport’s Ball Pan.
- For the legs and head the Mini Ball Pan was very handy, but carving some cupcakes will work too.
- I used these alphabet cookie cutters to cut out the letters for the name from fondant.
- For the grass pipings I used a multi-openings tip.
- The caterpillars antennas are inedible. I just used some flower stamens.